Saturday, December 9, 2006

Glory to God in the Highest

Yesterday, we visited some great sites. First we went to the ancient monastery of Mar Saba, in the Judean desert upon the Wadi Kidron. We were driving along this precarious road, descending toward the monastery and the wadi (a stream bed which can be found dry at certian times of the year). Other than two stone towers, we could not tell that we had reached Mar Saba until we were right on top of it. This beautiful Church was built right into the cliff. The whole complex grew out of caves that had been settled by the monks 1500 years ago. Today there are 15 monks, but in earlier times, there were maybe 500. The monks were at prayer when we arrived, and so we were not allowed to enter.

Next we were in the Shepherd's field, in a town east of Bethlehem. We had mass there. Again, caves figured prominently. I would say we are almost cave explorers. The shepherds would herd there sheep into these natural caves at night in order to sleep and provide protection for the flock. The is a beautiful little church from the 1950s built above the cave where we had Mass. It was from about this area that shepherds received the message of the angels to go to see the newborn Christ.

I have realized that we are a truly blessed people to followers of such a God. Jesus Christ does not abandon us to the fully weight of our own passions. We ought not trust what begins only with ourselves. If we build on the solid rock which is Christ, we will be blessed in all we do. I testify that my own religion has become more simple by being here. How much time I have tried to rationalize with God, always seeking to work on myself more and more.

Christ is teaching me the prayer of the heart. Lord Jesus have mercy on me a sinner. Whatever I in tend to do will be blessed and Christian when it comes first from a heart bound constantly with that of Christ. I'll finish by telling you that we were at the Milk Grotto today. This is the place where Mary nursed Jesus, a place of privacy away from the manger. Mary's prayer too, changed when she encountered the incarnate Christ. She first pondered all these things in her heart. May God bless your day in the Lord.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Very beautiful thoughts, Brian. I'm glad you have this blog. Also, it is the first time I've ever used a blog, and don't even know where the word comes from.