Saturday, January 13, 2007

Understanding Homesickness

Dear Friends,
I want to write this a class of third graders at St. Maria Goretti School in Madison whose teacher is Mrs. Amy Colas. All my other friends can read along.

When I was about eight or nine, I started to take little trips away from my house and away from my parents. Going somewhere new can be a very exciting thing. Even if you are just going to stay over night at a friend's house, you are still discovering something new. Your friend's house has different rules than yours, and they might have different ways of having fun or being sad or even of talking to each other. I started to learn about the world when I was still a young boy.

When people get to be older, we all have to go away from home. People go to college. They find jobs and move away. In my case, I have to travel here in another country. I have found out that people have different rules here, even different laws. They aren't really very different, but I will give you an example. On Friday afternoon, I wanted to get my laundry done. So I started walking to a laundromat. When I got there, I learned that the store had closed at 3pm. Here in Israel, all the shops that are Jewish close at 3pm so that everyone can get ready for the Sabbath day. The language is different here, the food is different, and so is time different!

So, whether a person is young or older, it can be very easy to be homesick. Part of it is because we have to learn things that aren't normal for us. It's easy to just get a little tired of doing new things. Other times we don't feel comfortable with the way we need to do things. Something might not seem right to us or even very good. Remember when Moses led Israel into the desert? They had to eat a strange food there, called manna. They ate manna every day. Eventually, they got sick of eating the same thing and complained to God. They wanted to have some meat for a change, like they had in Egypt.

So I think that one reason for being homesick is that there are changes. What do you think? What else can make a person homesick? What's the best cure for being homesick? One way is probably just to talk about it. I think that we all want to learn new things, and that we will. We just need to know that being homesick is not a bad thing, and it's nobody's fault. It is a feeling that we can get almost anywhere. Thank you for thinking about this with me. I hope that we learned to understand this feeling better.

1 comment:

Mrs. Colas' class said...

Hi Brian-
Our class read your posting about homesickness and we talked about when we've been homesick, and what we've done to help us feel better.

Here are some ideas:

G--
When I was at Camp Gray, I wrote letters to people, and they wrote back and that helped.

J-I was homesick when we were in the Phillipines because we had to sleep on mats on the floor, and it was really hot. It helped to have my family with me.

K -When I visit my relatives, they smoke, and that bothers me. I play with my cousin to get my mind off it.

T. - I think it's scary, too when your parents aren't there. You can think about them.

A.-
When we're on road trips, I miss my bed at home.

M.-
When I visit relatives and I'm the youngest, sometimes it's hard. I try to keep busy, and maybe play chards or with the dog and it helps.

D. When we moved here from Oregon, I learned how to instant message and email and that made me feel better. Now I have a lot of friends.

N. When we moved here, I didn't know anybody, but my Dad helped me meet people, so I wasn't so homesick.

So you can see, you're not alone! I hope the days go by quickly and you enjoy the stay. Let us know when you're able to come to visit us at school.

Take care, Brian!

-Amy